Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stop time

I had a 96 year old patient today tell me that she prayed I would drop dead. And die a horrible death. Because we were taking her back home. Haha.

Poor thing had such severe dementia. She was strong, though. Seriously. She just about gave my partner a black eye, too, as we transported her from the hospital back to the nursing home.

When we finally arrived at her room, there were pictures all over the wall of her and her husband on their wedding day. She was so young. So beautiful, and full of life. Now she's 96, widowed, and unable to trust anyone. She's convinced that everyone is trying to drug her and steal her money and her dentures. She has one book that she takes with her everywhere but can't see the words to read it anymore.

I don't want to get old.

No comments: