Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Third time's the charm

Today I get home from class, check my email, and find that I got my first comment. Yay! It gets better. Turns out it is from Medic999, and he has also given me a shout out on his page. :) I'm honored! So, thank you to Medic999 and everyone else who has already taken a look here and left comments. I know it's a small thing, but it sure means a lot.

I feel like I don't have much to write about on here just yet, seeing as how I am just beginning. But I am most definitely excited! I do know, however, that I have many questions.

Today I met with someone at the local volunteer ambulance company and finally got the ball rolling. I am looking forward to getting involved and gaining as much experience as I can.

Oh! And today I spent most of my morning and afternoon holding C-spine on Resusci Anne while the other class of EMT-B students took their final and did their practicals. Okay, so it wasn't quite as exciting as skydiving, or anything of the sorts, but at least I was able to get a feel for what the final will be like. And this Saturday I will be volunteering to be a 'victim' for the day as students take their NREMT, so that will give me even more of an idea of what to expect, at least for one station.

Other than that I'm just studying, working and house-sitting this week. And I think I have found a more subdued (somewhat!) layout. I am having the hardest time finding one that I like and that is not too flashy. And not being all that tech-savvy, this is quite a challenge!

Are you an EMT, Paramedic, or other health care professional?
Do you remember what/who your first call/patient was?
Just curious.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Hi Elisabeth! I'm an EMT from Scotland.
My first job was for a manic depressive who had stopped taking his medication 2 weeks earlier. He had been binge drinking for 4 days and was now throwing up blood. He was 6'4, built like a bull and tattooed from his neck to his toes. I was the last person he wanted to see! After convincing him to travel to the hospital he sat opposite me, staring directly into my eyes the entire journey, in silence.
It was nice!

You'll love the job! I look forward to following you're journey.

medic689 said...

Congrats on your new blog. I am a paramedic from the US. My very first patient encounter was when I was in my EMT class. It was a cardiac arrest that did not end well. As it turns out, while I was in medic class, I had to go back to the same house (the female had remarried)for an unconcious male. A few breaths later...he was saved. Luckily this call ended up being anaphylaxis.

irishfiremedic724 said...

Hello! A bit late to the party, but I'm rather restless on my overnight and I've been cruising various blog links. =)

I'm a medic in Boston, been a medic for a bit more than 6 months now, and was a basic for about 4 years.

My first BLS call was for an allergic reaction at the Boston Globe plant. Wound up being a contact dermatitis with some associated anxiety.

My first ALS call was actually also for an allergic reaction, this time at a food processing center. The pt inhaled some sort of dried herb or something (no one was quite sure) that wound up making her wheeze and break out in hives.

There's an odd sort of symmetry there--always makes me smile to think that I started both levels with the same sort of call. =)

Hope you're having fun out there!